I got in my car after a long day of classes at Green Valley High School in Henderson, Nevada and looked at the temperature on my dashboard, it read 118 degrees. Perfect! As I drove home in my mobile sauna, I was already thinking about the next day. I would have to wake up at 4:30 and shower so I could make it to seminary by 6, then I would go to my chamber orchestra rehearsal at 7 and go to my classes from 8-2:30. My varsity volleyball team was playing the number one ranked school in our league the next day and that game would last until 7. As the class president, I would go home to meet all my classmates working on our homecoming parade float in our driveway until 10. In between all of this, I fervently hoped I would be able to find time to eat, maybe sleep, and finish my homework for all my AP classes! Needless to say, I was a tiny bit stressed.
Fast forward 3 years, I am a sophomore at Brigham Young University. I miss my family back in Henderson which consists of my parents, three younger brothers, and my cat Nora. I am just starting my major which is Communications with an Advertising emphasis, I hope to apply to the program next fall and and hopefully study abroad in Italy during the time which I have heard is called the “dead semester”. Up to this point I have covered a lot of my general education credits. I’ve never been so thankful to attend a school that is centered around all my my core beliefs, all of them in correspondence to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As I plan out my major, I reflect on what experiences I have had in my 19 year life that will help me in my Communicative endeavors. My family and I have traveled to many parts of the globe including Tanzania, Africa and Beijing, China. While we were there I was completely fascinated by the differences between these foreign cultures and my own, but at the same time marveled at the similarities. Having been to the other side of the globe and back, I realize how lucky we are to have modern communication. Without it, our staggeringly massive world would be completely disconnected.
Fast forward another couple years, I am walking off stage at graduation. I can see my Communications 101 teacher in the front row cheering me on, he might even be holding a poster with my name on it! As I am walking off stage I see a woman standing and waiting for me. She tells me that she is retiring and that now that I have my degree, I am qualified to take her position! She works for Apple and is one of the main directors of advertising. She creates advertisements for iphone applications, she also manages some of the advertisements on the apple website, letting the public know about Apple’s new creations which are always the cutting-edge of technology. I gladly accept this new job and give my Communications 101 teacher an air-high five as I walk away.
At this point in life, I am grateful to be here at school, learning about the changing world around me. In the upcoming years of my life I hope to cross some things off my list of "To Do's". I would like to become a certified witch doctor in 43 countries, 4 planets, and 7 galaxies, beat the sun in a staring contest, and catch all the Pokemon. Once I achieve these, I hope to get married in the LDS temple and have 3 children and raise them in the gospel so they can serve missions and also one day get married in the temple. Although I am really excited to be at that point, I am enjoying every minute of the journey, taking it one day at a time!

No comments:
Post a Comment